As an effort to help businesses struggling with Covid-19-related economic issues, we have converted this formerly in-person course to online/phone only.
If you have a product or products you are ready to sell online or have a brick-and-mortar store you are trying to take online and don’t know where to start, this is the course for you. In a series of small group online webinars and “homework assignments” you’ll be guided through the set up, launch, and operation of an e-commence website using the Shopify platform.
This course is for you if...
- you are ready to make serious strides towards launching an online store
- have an existing or in-development product or service you want to sell OR a brick-and-mortar store you want to bring online via e-commerce
- you have some time for some pre-course work, the 6 scheduled webinar sessions, and some homework over the two week period (time commitment estimated outlined below)
What you DON’T need...
- a knowledge of html or coding
- expertise in digital marketing
- millions of dollars
- millions of hours
Who this course ISN'T for:
- Those who will be dropshipping only
- Those that are not comfortable with online learning
Before the course begins, each student will be sent a questionnaire to complete which will include information about their brand, their products/services, and their goals for launching an online store. Part of this questionnaire will require you to collect information brand assets (images, product descriptions, etc) that may already exist. Students should expect to invest anywhere from 1-3 hours collecting pre-course information. This will be due at least 24 hours before the class begins so we can prepare for the diversity of the group.
Class one (1.5 hours)
During the first online session, students will be given access to their development store (a blank slate) and start working with it right away. We'll cover:
- An overview of the Shopify ecosystem - what is included in various packages and what add-on costs from Shopify and third party apps you might experience along the way.
- Evaluating and choosing the right theme for your online store
- Branding your online store/website
- Adding pages to your website and establishing the site navigation
At the end of the first class there will be 'homework' assigned that will need to be prepared in advance of the second class. Students should expect to invest anywhere from 3 to 7 hours completing this.
Class two (1.5 hours)
Our second webinar session will be a homework review and discussion of issues that came up. You’ll be learning from the challenges and mistakes you made as well as those of your classmates.
The second part of this class will start you thinking about how you are going to collect all your product information (names of products, prices, SKUs, etc). If you have a single product or only a few products, this will be pretty simple. Those students with a larger catalog, will schedule an addition (included) session to discuss the nuances of dealing with larger product catalogues.
Homework will be between 2 and 4 hours for small product lines while those with larger product catalogues will potentially require more time to collect this information.
Class three (1.5 hours)
In our third group meeting, we'll jump into adding the things you are actually selling - your products or services.
- Creating and optimizing the page layout for your products
- Creating collections
- Walking through the various ways website visitors will be navigating products on your site
Homework to be completed before next class will be approximately 1 to 2 hours.
Class four (1.5 hours)
We’ll start class four with some boring, but necessary, stuff. We’ll work through the settings and set up of your cart, checkout pages, and transactional emails. You’ll also be shown how to start making dummy purchases on your website (with fake credit card info) so you can start seeing what the customer experience will be.
Then we’ll get to the fun stuff! You’ll be learning how to create and add featured content to the homepage of your new site!
Homework: as we get ready to launch your store, you are going to have to collect some information and make some decisions in advance of the final two classes. You may need between 2 and 4 hours for this work depending on how readily available you have some information.
Class five and six (both sessions: 1 hour)
In our final group sessions we'll work through many parts of the 'business' of running your online store so you are ready to hit the ground running when you launch. We’ll work through:
- Setting up basic shipping
- Setting up basic taxes
- Confirming account information
- Activating your default payment gateway
- Adding email notifications
- Installing Google Analytics
- A walk-through of order fulfillment
After our final group session, you'll have one to two weeks to work with your development store and the new skills you've learned. When you are ready-ish to launch your store, we'll conduct an audit of your website and make recommendations on how you can improve (unless it is perfect already of course). In a 30 minute screen sharing session we'll assist with the final pre-launch activities and launch your store. This call
- Adding in your domain (the URL your store will live at)
- Adding your billing information (how Shopify will charge you)
- Adding your banking info (how Shopify will give you money)
- Turning your store/website ON
- Final test of fulfillment with an actual order, bank deposit, and shipping
Note: A minimum of 4 students is required to run this course.
Refund Policy :A full refund will be offered up to 7 days before course start date/time